Friday, August 11, 2006

Let those who can.....do


I read a great post last night and it really got me thinking, I have come across many great men and women in the “real world” work force that could run circles around many of us Christian “leaders”. I know this could sound like Pastor bashing but it is not. Pastors are for the most part well suited for leading churches in the day-to-day operation of churches on spiritual issues but when it comes to the business side of the church operation and interaction with the community I have seen some short comings that could well be addressed by people who have been in the work force and have an understanding of how to interact with the secular community.

I often feel my thirty years in business, my thirty years of marriage, my thirty years of raising a family; my inability to go to a “formal “ Bible college or seminary has put me in a lesser position to be able to pastor a church. It has come to me over the last year or two that I am so much more qualified to Pastor a church because of my experience than some that have gone from high school to college to seminary to the pastorate with no life experience. Again, this not a slam but an observation. That I think this Barna research backs up my thought .I post this as a personal reminder that as I grow and develop His ministry that I have the sensitivity and strength to understand that I have many, much more qualified people around me that can deal with issues in which I am poorly qualified to handle, I hope I am not so macho that I can not let other more qualified people step up to the plate and take charge.

“Don't attack the culture. Don't shut down from it. Don't be afraid to learn from people outside of the church”. Thanks Michael, great post

Tone

No comments: